My list

My list

I have a list of folks I know,
All written in a book;
And every year at Christmas time,
I go and take a look.

And that is when I realize,
That these names are a part,
Not of the book they're written in,
But of my very heart.

For each name stands for someone
Who has touched my life sometime;
And in that meeting they've become,
The "Rhythm in each Rhyme."

And while it sounds fantastic
For me to make this claim,
I really feel I am composed,
Of each remembered name.

And while you may not be aware
Of any special link,
Just meeting you has shaped my life
A lot more than you think.

For once that you have known someone,
The years cannot erase,
The memory of a pleasant word,
Or of a friendly face.

So never think my Christmas cards
Are just a mere routine,
Of the names upon a list,
Forgotten in between.

For when I send a Christmas card
That is addressed to you,
It is because you're on that list,
Of folks I'm indebted to.

And whether I have known you
For many years or few,
In some way you have had a part
In shaping things I do.

So every year when Christmas comes,
I realize anew ...
One of the biggest gifts that God can give Is knowing folks like you!
~ Helen Steiner Rice ~ Christmas 1949

Nenhum comentário: